Certificate in Sports Governance
The SGA offers a bursary scheme to allow individuals who are successful in the application process to access The Chartered Governance Institute’s Level 4 Certificate in Sports Governance free of charge.
The certificate focuses on equipping those who work in the sports sector with the knowledge and key skills necessary to develop good governance practices within their organisation. Those who complete the course will receive a recognised certificate from the leading professional body for governance as well the opportunity to become part of a global governance community.
We are also offering the SGA community a limited number of free places on each of the individual modules which comprise the certificate. This will allow successful applicants to undertake one or more modules which are of particular interest to them, without the commitment of completing the entire course and the assessment process.
Who is this certificate for?
This course is aimed at those occupying governance roles in the sector who have received no formal or structured training.
If you hold a position with governance responsibilities – a paid or volunteer role – in a sports organisation of any size, from a national governing body or Active Partnership to a smaller local organisation, the Certificate in Sports Governance provides an ideal foundation for your career. It is an accessible and practical qualification for those who work at all levels of the sector and those who are attracted to the sports industry and want to gain a key understanding of the principles of sports governance.
Roles may include:
- A range of governance or compliance positions
- Company Secretary/Assistant Company Secretary
- Sports Administrator
- Non-executive director
- Sports Development Officer
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the principles of sports governance and their importance in the sports industry.
- Recognise the different types of sports organisations and their governance structures.
- Analyse the challenges facing sports governance and propose solutions to address them.
- Evaluate the impact of relevant legislation on sports organisations and their governance.
- Identify the risks facing sports organisations and develop strategies for managing them.
- Understand the importance of ethics, compliance, and stakeholder engagement in sports governance.
- Apply the principles of good governance to evaluate sports organisations and their governance structures.
The course has been benchmarked at Level 4 of the National Qualifications Framework, equivalent to the standard of study and assessment at the first year of a UK undergraduate degree.
The course is divided into four modules, each covering different aspects of sports governance in the UK:
|Common across all of the Institute's Level 4 certificates and covers Governance: Common Knowledge and Skills. This will give students an in-depth grounding in the principles of good governance.
|Introduces sports governance, including its principles, structures, and relevant legislation.
|Focuses on the challenges facing sports governance, including the influence of sporting federations and the role of governance structures.
|Covers risk, compliance, and finance in sports, including funding, risk management, ethics, and stakeholder engagement.
The recommended study time for the Level 4 Certificate in Sports Governance is 200 hours, which includes the online content, webinars, practice tasks and assessment exercises.
This course is based around a self-study model and therefore requires a significant commitment to study, on top of the provided webinar sessions. You will, however, be part of a cohort of fellow learners with whom you can interact, engage and share ideas and experiences. The SGA will facilitate networking opportunities for its bursary students.
The Certificate is assessed via:
- LMS participation which will include forum discussions, formative quizzes, and online eLearning modules (20%)
- A written assignment (40%)
- A one-hour multiple-choice exam (MCQ) (40%)
The exam paper contains a mixture of short- and extended-answer questions with a pass mark of 50%.
The SGA's bursary scheme will offer
- 15 free places on the full Certificate in Sports Governance, including all 4 modules and assessment
- 10 free places on each of the component modules
The places will be awarded on the basis of applications made via the two routes below. Applications for Modules 2-4 will take place later in the year.